It’s hard to find a godly woman today. She’s like a diamond among rocks because today’s women are more about wanting attention than earning respect, but a virtuous woman has high moral standards. She is a “lady”, not a “lady of the evening.” She is good, pure, ethical, upstanding, intelligent, business minded, capable, strong, principled, an example and totally opposite of today’s woman. A godly woman is priceless. She recognizes her worth and refuses to compromise herself to be anything less. She is surrendered to the will of God and purpose of God for her life. She is submitted and committed to Him.
You won’t find the virtuous woman dressing in a provocative way or using profanity. You’ll know a godly woman when you see her. She will shine like a diamond and will command your respect by her actions. She’s not like every other woman…she’s classy, but not in a snooty kind of way because she has the love of Christ dwelling in her. She’s all about heart and soul. She guards her heart, her soul and her motives, whereas, today’s women are all about their outward appearance.
The virtuous woman is dutiful, honorable and purposeful. She stands alongside her husband in the game of life. She revels in the wonderment of her ability to grow a baby inside her body for 9 months and her ability to give birth. She takes motherhood very seriously and sees it as the most awesome responsibility she’ll ever have on this earth. Her husband and her children are her most delightful treasures and pleasures. She sees Womanhood as a blessing God has bestowed upon her and she feels like a Princess, even when changing dirty diapers, wiping dirty noses, and washing dirty laundry! She wouldn’t trade it for a Penthouse apartment in New York City and for all the money in the world! She’s rich, may be not in earthly goods, but she is rich far above earthly riches.
She knows her worth, because she knows who she is in Christ. She’s a child of the King! There is a crown of favor on her head. She is a daughter of Abraham…and because she knows who she is and “whose” she is, she behaves with dignity. Unlike a lot of women today, she speaks with kindness and has a gentle spirit. No, she’s not perfect, but she knows the One who is perfect and He loves her. She belongs to Him.
Here are 6 Biblical traits of a godly woman.
- Trustworthy “Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.” Proverbs 31:11-12 Her husband trusts her completely. He knows if he has to be out of town, she’s not sleeping around. She’s faithful to their marriage vows. She’s not flirting with every man she meets. Her husband never, ever worries about her fidelity. Character is one of her biggest qualities and he’s confident in her love for him. He can also trusts her to be thrifty. She’s a good steward of their finances. She’s not spending money unwisely. She saves for a “rainy” day. He and the children can rely on her to cook nutritious meals, keep a clean house, and nurture them when they are sick. The whole family is secure in her love and her stability. She takes care of her family and their home. The home is their castle. The family relies on the godly woman.
- Kind She is loving and kind. She loves God with all her heart, soul and strength and because she is secure in God’s love, she loves herself and can love others. “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” Proverbs 31:16 She comforts her husband when he’s had a hard day at work. She comforts her children when they fall and scrape their knee. She encourages her family. She tells her husband he can do anything. She is his greatest supporter. She tells her child he can grow up and become a doctor if he desires. She’s an encourager. She’s kind to the cashier, her child’s teacher and to everyone she comes in contact with throughout the day. A godly woman watches what she says. She chooses her words wisely, so as not to offend others. Her words uplift others. She doesn’t participate in gossip, no matter how tempting it may be at times.
- Industrious She works…whether it be at home or on a job. “Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. ” Colossians 3:23 She may own her own business or work for a company, but her family is not neglected. Godly women realize family is their first ministry. The family unit is safe and secure in the knowledge they are number one in her life. A virtuous woman works willingly. She does her best on the job. She makes wise business decisions and because of that she’s an asset to the company. She provides for her family and they are not neglected. “She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.” Proverbs 31:27 If one of her children needs a costume for the school play the next day, she may stay up all night sewing to finish it on time.
- Spiritual She loves God and serves Him. “Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.” Proverbs 31:30 She reads the Bible…it is her manual for living life. She lives out it’s principles in her daily walk with the Lord. No, she’s not perfect, no one is…but if she stumbles, she’s quick to repent. She worships God through serving her family and others. She gives to the needy. She gives to charities. She’s a giver, not a taker. “She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.” Proverbs 31:20
- Positive The virtuous woman has a positive outlook on life. She doesn’t grumble and complain. She doesn’t talk bad about her husband or children at the Ladies Bible Study group on Wednesday night. She is strong and secure in her love for the Lord and His love for her. She doesn’t have to prove anything, therefore, she’s not envious or petty. Her countenance is one of joy because she knows her hope is in God and He holds her future. She doesn’t worry or fret. She’s a strong, godly woman because her hope and her trust is in God. “Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.” Proverbs 31:25
Christ isn’t a part or a portion of her life just on Sunday morning, but He is her life and influences every decision she makes. Movies, TV, books, music and magazines paint a different portrait of a woman than the Proverbs 31 woman. They paint a picture where a woman seems to be nothing more than an object to use, but God’s word says a woman is very special. She’s not an object, she’s priceless. “Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.” Proverbs31:10
We need more godly women. If you find one, cherish her, hang on to her, because they are hard to find.
Do you know a godly woman who has influenced your life? If so, please share. I would love to hear your comments.